This is a quick post with two updates regarding offers on two Chase credit cards.
1) As I posted a few days ago, the minimum spend requirement on the Chase Sapphire Preferred increased from $3k to $4k though you still earn the same 40,000 bonus points if you hit the minimum spend in 3 months. I’m happy to report that I have a working link that has a $3k minimum spend requirement instead of $4k which is the public offer on Chase’s website and on other blogs.
Before the change was implemented by Chase, I used the Chase Refer a Friend site to generate a link to the offer. For whatever reason, my refer a friend link still shows the $3k spend and was not updated to be $4k. My link states this is valid through November 30th but it could be updated at any point. As a sidenote, I do receive 5,000 bonus if you are approved via the link below and this offer is actually better than the public offer.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Application Link with $3k Minimum Spend Requirement
2) The other news from Chase is the signup bonus on the Chase Freedom has increased from 10,000 points to 20,000 points if you spend $500 in 3 months. You can also get an additional 2,500 points if you add an authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months. You generally earn 1% cashback on transactions but each quarter there are different categories in which you can earn 5% cash back.
The Chase Freedom is a cashback card but if you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Bold you can transfer the points from the Freedom card to the Sapphire Preferred or Bold card. This “unlocks” the points and then the points could be transferred to the different airlines and hotels in the Chase Ultimate Rewards program like Southwest, United, Hyatt, Marriott etc. There is no annual fee on this card so this is card you will have a long time, which will make Chase happy to see.
Chase Freedom Application Link
Several others, including the Frequent Miler, have confirmed the minimum spend requirement on the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card is increasing to $4,000 starting on Monday. The signup bonus is rumored to remain the same with 40,000 points offered if you meet the minimum spend requirement in 3 months. Additionally, you can earn an extra 5,000 points if you add an authorized user. So the real difference is instead of having to spend $3,000 to unlock the signup bonus, starting Monday you will have to spend $4,000 to get the signup bonus. This begs the questions – should I apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card before Monday?
The spending requirement goes up to $4k on Monday
If you were planning to get this card in the near future anyway, then the answer is obviously yes – spending $3,000 to get a signup bonus over 3 months is easier & better than spending $4,000. If you were on the fence or just getting started in the points & miles games, I think the answer is still yes. For many people and especially beginners, I consider this card to be the best overall card if I could only have one credit card. Here’s why:
- Great Signup Bonus - 40,000 points + extra 5,000 points if you add an authorized user in the first 3 months
- Double Points on all Travel and Dining Expenses - These are generally people’s largest expenses so it makes sense to maximize points earned in these categories
- Valuable & Flexible Points - The Chase Ultimate Rewards program is great as you can transfer points to several airlines (United, Southwest, British Airways, etc.) and hotel programs (Hyatt, Marriott, IHG etc.)
- No Foreign Transaction Fees - I always use this card overseas
- Annual Fee Waived - The annual fee of $95 is waived for the first year so no upfront cost to you
Chase Sapphire Preferred Application Link
For some people the additional $1,000 spending requirement will not present a problem as either your normal spending habits or ability to manufacture spend can cover the $1,000 increase. Additionally, I wouldn’t go out of my to apply for this card if it doesn’t fit in your application strategy or you just applied for several other Chase credit cards recently. But for those still debating it, I would apply before the weekend is up to avoid having to spend another $1,000 to get the same signup bonus.
*While I do not have any affiliate links, I occasionally do have referral links in which I must be a current card member to refer others. The links above are my referral links as this is the best offer publicly available. If you are approved, I will receive some bonus points from Chase. Thank you for your support!*
JetBlue is offering customers 20% of their points back when they redeem points for a reward flight by November 14. This is quite generous as the travel period is from 11/13/14 to 1/31/15 with no exclusions! So if you planned on using JetBlue points for your holiday flights, try to book them by tomorrow to get some points back!
To get the 20% in points back, just:
- Book by 11/14 using TrueBlue points for travel 11/13/14 – 1/31/15.
- Fly JetBlue and enjoy your trip.
- Check your TrueBlue account for your returned points!
I love free points and I especially love when it takes less than a minute of work so I am excited to write about Starwood’s newest promotion in which they are giving you 500 FREE SPG points for updating your Starwood account! Since you can transfer SPG points to airlines, this could be viewed as 500 free miles in programs such as American, British Airways, US Airways etc.
Here are the steps to the earn 500 points with the “My Stay Preferences” promotion:
1) First, register for a promotion by Starwood called “More For You” which if you stay at a SPG hotel by December 15th, you will earn double SPG points on stays of least two nights and it can become triple points if the stay includes a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. You can still get 500 Free SPG points even if you do not stay at a SPG hotel.
2) Click this link to Update Your Preferences. While it doesn’t say you actually need to change anything, I decided to make a small change and click the “Space to work”. Click Save Changes and you’re done! The points should post sometime in January.
This seriously took me about a minute and all I needed was my SPG account number. You do need to signup for this promotion by November 30rd, so I suggest doing it now before you forget!
Update 3: Read the comments to see what is working in terms of different browsers, incognito modes etc..
Update 2: Ok this is really bizarre. I tried copying the link and pasting into a new Chrome browser and I got a 75k offer for spending $10k in 3 months. This was a brand new Chrome window, not incognito. See snapshot from Chrome browser on my iPhone at bottom of this post. No idea what is going on but play around with this! It looks like best bet is to open in a Chrome browser on your smartphone for the 75k offer per another commenter who confirmed with Amex that he was approved for the 75k bonus.
Update: Some are reporting link is only showing 25k offer. I tried on a MacBook and iPhone, both in Safari, and it showed 50k. I was not logged into Amex. Maybe try Safari browser or incognito mode? That screenshot below was from my iPhone.
While helping a client figure out the next business card he should apply for via my consulting services, I noticed the offer on the American Express Business Gold Card has increased to 50,000 (updated: now 75,000) points!
I believe the normal offer on this card is only 25,000 and a quick check on other blogs shows the affiliates link are only a 25,000 point offer. This 50,000 point offer requires you to spend $5k in 3 months (updated: the 75k offer requires 10k spend in 3 months). It is not available to those who have this card in the past 12 months. The annual fee is also waived for the first year.
Click here for the link to the offer.
I am boarding a redeye flight home from the #westcoastDO (and I’m posting from my phone so I apologize for the brevity of this post) so I don’t have the time right now to completely analyze this offer but with the annual fee waived for the first year and an extra 25k (updated: 50k) membership rewards compared to the public offer, this is a strong offer to consider.
Post your experience in the comments and let me know which offer you got and how.